Logo
 
 
Alexander Jackson Davis may have designed the house; he is the same New York architect that drew up plans for the State Capitol and the nearby Blandwood mansion.
Weir-Jordan house interior
In 1890 the house was sold to John F. Jordan, a businessman in tobacco who served as a Guilford County sheriff, a Greensboro commissioner, and Chamber of Commerce director.  Jordan did add some of his touches to the home, but the most obvious are the forward and backward iron “J”s bracing the mantles in the dining room and the south parlor.  The house was admitted to the National Register of Historic Places in October, 1984.
 
Weir-Jordan House

History of the House

 

The Weir-Jordan House


Sub Menu



Part of Historic Greensboro since 1846

Gracing the historic Greensboro downtown area since 1846


 

The house at 223 North Edgeworth Street was built in 1846 and is believed to be one of the ten original homes built in what is now downtown Greensboro.

Weir-Jordan House
Place setting for banquet
Banquet at the Woman's Club in Greensboro downtown

The original owner, Dr. David Weir, was President of the Edgeworth Female Academy, and he also founded the first insurance company in the city of Greensboro.  The house is a traditional two-story, double-pile style with the interior laid out in a center hall plan.